Yes. Let's.

 Let's talk about being responsible. In the past, things happened of great magnitude which have taken us by surprise and created in us a kind of awe, but not awareness. In fact, I am surprised by the lack of action taken by this "free world" whose power is more intensive in ultimate rule than in the use of its many advantageous luxuries. Education, funding, manpower, and unused lands and nothing being done to save our race in times of critical need. (I would love to see them making some sort of beautiful oasis in the dry desert lands of the west, just because, you know, funding, and also air, study etc.)

I was reading about the extinct dinosaurs and the major catastrophe which precipitated their extinction. I wonder who could survive such a catastrophe? Many places in the world are doing things to try and keep their systems running cleanly and trying to adapt their people to the waste problem that we can all responsibly say is our own fault, be it for some not very conservative if not spoiled behavior on our part. I like to look at my children who have adopted these traits. When they were my young children and living under my wing, so to speak, we had trash as little as twice a week, and I was proud of that. But now they are hardcore consumers and the amount of trash that they create is gruesome. It is a sad truth, but this is the way many people live and the idea that we will lead others into more responsible behaviors by showing them our new canvas bags in the grocery line is sadly unconvincing.

I like to recycle. Only a little while ago I blogged about the use of plastic in creating composts. If we even made old plastics into little beads the shape of stones, they would be less burdensome. I imagine a trash site where the trash is separated and made useful. Anyway, that isn't the only thing...

In remembering the survival of the birds, linked at the opening up there, let us remember something else. In the event that things become very cold, people would struggle to survive. The wires that hang over us, giving us light and helping us communicate, would snap. Our railways would be unusable, our roads would be disaster areas. I was trying to imagine the possibilities and they do exist, but people don't seem interested in these things as of right now, now we are in a war over morality, which is the silliest one because it never ends. We have things to do.

My writer I love to read posted about Mary Shelley yesterday. She wrote Frankenstein during an unseasonably cold winter. Once in New England, the sky grew dark and they thought the world was ending. I imagine these things happen, but why have we not made provisions in the event that a catastrophe does happen? We are always prepared for prevention, I suppose, and I suppose it unlikely that we need a little back up plan? But what about volcanic eruption?

You see, I like life. I am not terribly unhappy with sitting and reading. I do not want to miss out, I can bunker down through the hard times. We need not die in a firey inferno of desperation, people cooking their cats, you know, because they didn't think bad things could happen. No, I think being able to see literally everything should make us all the more prepared for anything that comes our way. 



I truly believe every city should have a place of its own which generates food and can be self-sustainable. I believe that not making all trash useful is totally ignorant, why don't we start bring boxes, separated, to our local, not waste, but efficiency departments? The shift could be slow, but with a little smarts, we can change this, it seems like a real problem to me, and this country is too entrenched in self destruction to even care. This is very, no, extremely embarrassing to me as an American.


Comments