Because nobody likes a funny girl...

 I remember the first time I was funny. I was in 10th grade. This post dates a terrible episode when I was in my early teens when, after my ridiculously talented and brilliant brother performed his mock Saturday Night Live skit for my mother and aunt, which left them raving, I cried and had a fit. He wrote on my desk that I may have multiple personalities, and to collect my selves. A couple of years later, I took a chance at wit.

I was a very serious young girl. Quiet, contemplative. I was a bit misanthropic in grade school. In middle school, I found clique culture. All of this being a part of society had me derailed from a sense of self that either cared to please anyone enough to be funny, or was permitted to do so. So 10th grade, outside on a bench, talking to a mentor, I cracked a joke. I was shocked a pleased. 

It was also in 10th grade that a boy asked me out, but he was a friends boyfriend and not my type, so emphatically, no! But could it have been a turn in my personality? Now here we are so many years later, I'm terribly single. And what is the deciding factor? I'm funnier now, sometimes people laugh, damnit. I make people laugh. Im not too brilliant,  although today I am reading a book on the "Wisdom of Leonardo DaVinci". But how boring is that?


It turns out that women, and this is a real thing going on out there,  there have been multiple studies, time and money have gone into this, ... women are supposedly less attractive if they have a go at the lines. Yes, it is supposed to be a fact of human nature that women must laugh at the jokes instead of cracking them. They should teach this to high schoolers.

But then, I am reading this great book, about this above average man, and I am reminded of how some men in my past have said how they don't like very pretty girls. It appears that men cannot tolerate any kind of competition for their fragile egos. 

I'm not very often the one who says men are like this, or they're awful because of that, but in the case of the funny and beautiful woman, I have to say, what a bunch of poozers.






Comments