Kiddos


 I wanted to put this up because I was online looking at the articles in my feed, I already blogged about it today. What seems to have been pointed out is that Galois, who looks like my guy Beddoes, is another tragic figure of the 19th century.

Galois died because of a duel at age 20, but before he died he writes out a quick explanation of his math ideas, ideas which were to go on to shape modern mathematics, algebra. I went and looked him up. He looked like Beddoes, the poet who was alluded to in Tennyson. I liked Beddoes poetry, but Tennyson betrayed his superstition about early death and said he was not that great. 

I will have to take another look. Point overall being that youth and tragedy are not proof of talent. 

Galois sent me on to read about algebra, and I know I learned a bit of it from a video once.

I like math because of the philosophy. People who are good at it like math. (Period)

Comments