One night stand

 Opening scene:

Two girls in a kitchen. The main character, Beth, is seated at the table with a closed laptop in front of her. The other girl, Sarah, stands by the counter.

Sarah: I saw you at the Quicktrip last night, I had to do a double take. 

Beth: What do you mean?

Sarah: You looked like a stranger. Why do you not even dress up anymore? You haven't been you in I don't know how long? When will you start being Beth gain, the pretty girl that I love.

Sarah opens a bottle of wine and pours two glasses of wine and brings one to Beth. Beth looks like she understands what Sarah says. She takes her wine and sips, thinking.

Beth: I know you work hard. I know you're independent. But having a life is so healthy, you know?

Sarah: I know, I know...

Beth: I know you. You have too much ambition, but you're letting yourself go, you know?

Sarah takes a long drink and looks thoughtful also. They linger for a moment.

Sarah: You know what I think you should do? I think you should try to meet a guy. Yeah, I think you should go out on a date, just to feel like a girl again. Let's see, let's sign you up online for a dating site. 

Beth laughs: I have one, on my Facebook. I never go on there.

Sarah, well let's look. Open it up.

Cut to:

Interior coffee shop. Alex is a very cute guy with a friend, on his way out in the morning. They are paying for their coffee.

Alex: I had another late one, can't get rid of that one.

Jason: Well, you're a bad man. Can't blame ya for taken advantage. 

Alex: She won't leave me alone, she stays gone for a few days and then she's back calling me. 

Jason: Well man, gonna have to one up with something to make that hint more clear cause I don't see an ending in sight if you keep having her back over. 

Alex: She's alright. We had a wild ride last night. Looks at the barista and smiles.

At counter, the barista is listening. 

Jason: I'll have an Americano, what'ya want? 

Alex: Just a coffee. 

 Barista looking hard at Alex: Alright that's $7.50

As Jason gets the money out Alex smiles at the barista and she smiles back.

Alex: (to himself) Women are so weird... 

Alex: Do you want me to give you a call some time, sweetie.

Barista: I would like that.

They exchange numbers, and Jason and Alex find a seat. 

Jason: How long have you been seeing Jessica?

Alex: I don't even know. She's like, it's fine with it not being anything serious, but she calls and checks in on me like it's a thing and I know she knows better. I'm just going to answer when I'm not doing anything. She's figure it out.

Jason: Well alright. 

Alex: I thought about asking her to marry. 

Jason: No you didn't.

Alex: I did. I was drunk. 

Jason: Don't drink dude. 

Alex: I know. I was feeling old. I'm gettin older man. What else do we do?

Jason: Do you love her.

Alex: Yeah. I do sometimes. 

Jason: (shaking his head) Don't do it dude, no you don't have to get married just because you're getting older. 

Alex: I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know what I'm going to do with her.

Jason: I know you don't. That's not what you do. You don't marry a girl because you think you might be getting older. you marry a girl because you know she's the one? Do you know how you know she's the one? Do you ask her? Nope. And that's what you're doing. You're asking her to marry you because you want to see if she's the one because you're getting older, and you don't want to miss your ride. Life is a ride, and you can get on and off whenever you like.

Alex: What if I meet someone else. 

Jason: That might be good for you. 

Alex: Or I'll call her.

Jason shakes his head.

Alex: I can't believe how hard this is now. It used to be so easy for me. I don't even care now. I would have called that chick at the bar, you know? I don't care anymore. I'm losing steam.   

Jason: I lost steam a long time ago. 

Alex: (get's notification on phone) looks at phone like shat's this?

Cut to: Interior Beth's kitchen, looking at profiles with Sarah. 

Sarah: Ooh I like this one, save him for me.

Beth and Sarah laugh, looking at profiles, clicking and critiquing them.

Then Beth stops: Omg! Omg! Oh my God Sarah, do you know who this is? Omg

Sarah: Who is this? 

Beth: Omg Sarah, I loved him, looovvveeed him in high school! 

Sarah: I do remember. God, do you want to go out with the guy you loved in high school? I said I think you need to meet people. Let me see him. Oh, he's cute.

Beth: (In a far away state) I know. I loved him. He always used to be sitting in the hall every morning. I was always so excited to get to school ... 

(She looks at the screen like Juliet looking at Romeo)

Sarah: How come you never went out with him?

Beth: He was older. 

Sarah: Are you going to message him?

Beth: Yes. I would love to go out with him. I would love that.

Sarah: What are you going to say? Are you going to tell him you knew him in high school?

Beth: No, because I didn't know him.

Sarah: this is so funny.

Beth: God, what if he calls?

Cut to: Interior coffee shop.









 

 

Comments