Anticipatons

 I've named this blog after the book that I would like to take a nugget from. The ride home yesterday I made videos of how busy it was, there were stopped lines of traffic everywhere. The movement seemed to be seconds long. The heat is coming back. I am glad today is raining.

The nugget was about the capacity of cities to withhold only a small number of people until they reach a definite cap for the area. In the time before transportation, the capacity to exceed more than a couple hundred thousand, perhaps, would be, regardless of location, met with difficulties such as famine or disease which kept the numbers at a definite cap. This was a permanent outcome until trains helped move things and people along quicker. (note* even in the ending of The Outline of History Wells is speaking about how big of an impact transportation plays. He hammers it home)

Today I am looking at H.G. Wells  An Outline of History because I was feeling suffocated by the surplus population. What is really important is that I feel justified in my overwhelm from too many people. There's nothing wrong with that. You poor dear(s). 

I have thought about what I read in that book a number of times since. But I never remember the name of the book. Today I write it down, ANTICIPATIONSThe Outline of history looks like this:

And it's just that. An outline of history from day one. It's not fiction, you know he is famous for War of the Worlds and A Time Machine. Those were wonderful movies to me, but kinda gross and scary. He writes horror science fiction. I thought he was brilliant. I liked The Island of Dr. Moreau, too. Lately, I have wanted to have movie night, we will do my Tennessee Williams fest first. And I would like to have a Bollywood fest. When? I have been wanting this since I missed one in 2008 in Hawaii. I am looking to see if there is some whiff left from the 2008 Bollywood fest at University of Hawaii where my best girlfriend of that decade attended high school. 


Look at those headlines. They are very unfamiliar to me. Catastrophe? 

I was looking to this book because Anticipations is a lot like his last chapter in The Outline of History, "The Next Stage of History".

I finished the last chapter of the book and was surprised by the parallels that are present in our anticipated time. There are things that are as listed in a laundry list or "honey-do" list, as it comes rolling off his pen so easily and becomes a familiar aspect of our days and times. I was surprised at what things are, what things have begun, what has potential to become and the things which are not evident. I was struck by this because it was an important moment in history between the past and future, where past and future are converging and the eyes of those who are watching are expectant. 

When I left the book and reading this afternoon, I was able to find myself a little peace that I know things are happening and that while things, big things, happen, I am able to visualize that the different parts play a significant role. Knowing that, not just because of stress, but because of the invariableness of conclusions, is where the peace lies. It is like that in every event, no matter how big or how small. 
Today I have run away from home, I would not like to go back and my phone is off. Too many adults competing for rule in that household (er, its my apartment???) Of course I will have to go back. In the meantime, I have run some needless errands and enjoyed my day. My suffering lies ahead of me now. But there will, indeed, be some conclusion. 

We should all read that book.

Comments