Big Things

 There is a Christian magazine that I have never had the pleasure of seeing in person, or had the pleasure of reading any of its articles in entirety, because they have it so you have to pay to read it online! It is called First Things, and along with The Imaginative Conservative, are two highly recommended periodicals that stray from being overly political and have good values and are right leaning.  As much as there is cancel culture, it is nice to know where the good stuff is. Also, if I am being a good girl I can finally buy a subscription,  by golly!

The reason I am bringing this up is because I had a few things in mind to write about. I too am responsible for a lot of good circulating, but also, to help others see a thing that has been a fixed image in my mind: overabundance of information. 

Irony. You go Alanis Morrisette. 

 I'm sure there's a better and maybe even scholastic term for this. And it was of a greater value to me this morning as we were having a discussion, I do not recall the particular argument, only feeling solace in knowing that there is an overabundance of information, so that regardless of the things being argued, who in the last 100 years has the rightful authority to be "the expert"? Just funny. Many facts these days are, to some, fiction. Even to the unnamed offender. We will call them,"unnamed offender and conspiracy theorist".

Einstein may be the only person everyone fully agrees was an expert. He said things like, "everyone is a genius" and "read your children fairytales" and "God does not play dice." That guy was onto something.

I have said this before and I'm going to repeat it again right here, right now, the 20th century was the place where men went overboard defining things. It confused, this too much defining, to the point of much microscopic digging into every topic, that what once sounded very smart sounds like empirical jargon, like so much stereo instructions. Too much! But I believe we are past over defining things, and now we are the generation who gets to sift through it all and redefine meaning itself. Kind of a cool time! Everyone has access to the too much. God I wish I was Google. That's a good view there.

This morning I was working on something. I wanted to fact check something in my Facebook newsfeed. A few bible verses I have seen in the last few months taken from Revelations were alarming, not anything I am sharing, but one thing seemed to me in need of fact checking, and so I was looking for the verse this morning and so far without any luck! But it ended in a heated discussion about whether or not we, as Christians, are able or should be allowed to read Revelations. Like it's not our place! I found the following article. The subject of the article is on the epistles of Revelations and repentance.  After looking at that I was interested in Metanoia

So I was accused of being unworthy of reading Revelations. But the first article claims that Revelations was written for the believers of Christ! Then, I was accused of not being a scholar or theologian so how could I read or decipher or even look into it? "Do you speak Greek?" was asked of me. 

That would be no. But I have copied an article on the Greek term Metanoia into my online weblog where I keep all of my deep thoughts about things that interest me, thank you. Very. Much.

I am a fairly respectful woman, so I will not be debating my worthiness, after finding that I was interested in Metanoia, (and because it is so written in such superfluousness without finding out whether it means repentance of kneeling prostrate), I was able to suggest to myself that many people in the here and now are capable of scholarship that was impossible before! So maybe I am not a scholar (what might that entail!?), and maybe I am. Do all scholars speak Greek? Again, the benefit of living now.

Incidentally, and also a segway into what comes up next, the idea of being able to accomplish something without appearing the fit, being "the underdog", that has been a very big part of our culture is possibly being fazed out. We do not route now for underdogs, we have "the chosen".

Now, it used to be such a heartache to go into the bookstore and see that we had so much to choose from. I enjoy variety, but popularity is essential. All new, too, like who are these people and why should they have a stack on this table with all these other strangers? Thinking of the numbers of people in existence has warmed me up to them again. At least, I know that there are still those standouts, and that propaganda isn't supposed to be a needle in a haystack. Case in point on "the chosen".

Lastly, I have been writing daily, almost daily, about Women in history for Women's month. I was happy to realize that my education allowed me a greater knowledge and understanding of women's liberation and feminism. It was a big thing at my college and I ended up in a few Women's studies classes accidentally because I had registered late. But I am glad for it. I am glad that I know what an "angel in the house" is. I am glad I know that people can be cruel and that women are strong and resilient. Someone said that they were unfit the other day, for what I cannot remember and my rebuttal is a firm for what can a woman be unfit?

Anyway, great women are listed on my Facebook wall,  I have remembered so many things to share and it has been wonderful. I loved reading about Elizabeth and her mothers, and about great scientists, fighters for rights, and businesswomen. Today I will share Mary Kay's story. 

Comments