Notes on Buddhism for the Chinese New Year

Everyone has a barrier. They are at odds with people from time to time. But most do not desire conflict. Now the deep part.

I decided I had stumbled upon something this morning. Giving up the need to be right. I often fantasize about things. I live in a dream world much of the time. This is only partly true, as I am cognizant of what I am fantasizing about, and I just read that 95% of our thoughts are subconscious. Fantasies are unreal, but beautiful, intimate and necessary. They are art. They are not right.

Being right manipulates you into being aggressive, plagued with anxiety. But we cannot be right all of the time. And our world view is unique and unfathomable to even our most intimate friends and confidants.

The act of being right is tyrannical, the need to seek it is never ending. This means that we are always seeking to justify instead of acting justly. It is a wrong pursuit. Because even with right intention, and in hope of producing much good, when we use force we do not produce good but make a show of it. We glorify our vain desires for greatness instead of allowing for good to blossom.

Buddhists ask that you release yourself from control over everything. Everything. And not from others especially. You focus on releasing yourself. You become unbound, act justly, and find a peace, almost biblical, which surpasses understanding.

I was digging through a stack of towels in my daughter's room this morning searching for my own towels, she seems to have them all. At the bottom of the stack is a Star Wars towel.

Then I read about yin and yang for the Chinese New Year. I imagined the two forces and thought of a tornado. I felt especially informed being of this new age. I thought of becoming a buddha, of moksha, and decided, it is best to not be a force of any kind.

Comments