Wardrobe Staples

If you google search wardrobe essentials you get pretty basic lists. That is why this is not going to be your typical article about wardrobe musts. I'd rather complain about musts which are near impossible to find anymore.

Over the years I've had many items in my arsenal, a menagerie of things that make up very simple or daring and courageous compositions. Growing up in periods of differing trends, fascinations, and the worship of fashion and fashion models, specifically the 1980s and 90s, it's a deep-rooted passion of mine. I have scarves of different colors and materials for your neck or your head. I have ties. I have long, black, stretchy strings to tie around your waist or drape down over you like a tie or a very weird piece of jewelry. I have socks that go to ankle, calf and thigh, and different kinds of contraptions for my bust.

I have more than ten pairs of jeans right now, six or seven..teen skirts, and stockings, and stockings to wear over stockings. I have boots; black, brown, leather, rubber, and laced. I had some neat furry ones once with studs like you hammer into a couch around the base, that rolled down, suede with a wood heal, which I'd inherited from my aunt and got rid of for some weird reason. Purses, costume jewelry, blouses, jackets, you name it.

Here I am last Thursday.

I love my collection of clothing like someone might love their dolls or stamps or figurines or fine china. I wear only so many things on a regular basis, but I am always eager to buy more. It is a continuum, a kind of growing and branching out, as I acquire pieces which can go with this or that other thing.

One of the easiest things to do when you have permitted this kind of problem, (and it is problematic, once you start stacking things on stacks in back of stacks, where the sweaters are, over the old "and I bought the t-shirt" stacks) is buy an item which isn't age appropriate or which otherwise requires you to buy some new piece, because although it is so pretty, it makes you look like a clown. 

In having this come up quite a bit, I've realized things from the past that were easy to come by, things that meant so much to my wardrobe, are simply missing where I am shopping. Missing!

The list.

Number 1- The very thin, lightweight, long sleeve tee. I have had a few of these over the years. The thin material is great for wearing under other garments. From easy layering under sweaters to transitioning strappy, summery tops with tee for wintertime, this staple is one that should be permanently atop tables in all boutiques, shopping malls, Targets, Walmarts, and the occasional Family Dollar. 

Incidentally, I bought a great pair of leggings at the Family Dollar once for five dollars. They were like wearing a woven sweater on your legs. I loved them, and had them for years. I digress …  

But back to the long sleeved tee, they should come in every color, bold like the walls of a Mexican hacienda, pale pastel like a lightly tinted Easter egg, jewel colors, black, white, primary. Earthy tones! The point is, they are necessary to create an outfit. Even solo with a pair of jeans, belt or no belt.


Number 2- Speaking of jeans, we have arrived at item number two. I love skinny jeans. I love ripped jeans. I love high waisted jeans. Flare jeans, love, love, love. But wouldn't it be nice to find a classic fit, straight leg jean? Color is not an issue. As a matter of fact, be colorful. But the classics should not disappear. They're classics for a reason.

Anyone? Anyone at all? Okay, anyone that isn't Lee?

Number 3- Designer tights. I know I'm not the only woman in the world brave enough to wear a pair of floral print tights? But I must be, because they are mysteriously missing from the tights department of every store in America. Or every store within a 25 mile radius of me, in a major metropolitan city in America, so there is a good chance I have a good representative value for the market. I think that is odd when you consider things that are a novelty sell like hotcakes. And why no colored tights, either? A pair of designer tights under a plain outfit is divine!
Or, at least, pretty darn cute.

Number 4- How about cropped sweat pants? Coming in at number four, these girly sweats were a huge celebrity in the early 2000's, but now they have disappeared! No one wants to wear these anymore? They aren't cool anymore? No one wants a pair to lounge in, wear to the beach, the pool, to dig in the garden? I don't believe it.

And in the miscellaneous box here we have tube tops, great for a sleeveless undershirt. Dress length camies. Ladies cute, but not designer, hoodies. Leather satchel purses without detail. Simple sneakers. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

The point is, there are buyers for the items missing from the shelves. In a world where you can practically get anything you want, how can there be anything you want that you can't get practically? It's a great mystery.


Comments